Tins n Cabinets
Last Post 11 Jul 2021 12:11 AM by Relics. 142 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 9 of 10 << < 678910 > >>
Author Messages
Guru Tat
Guru Tat
Relics

--
19 Sep 2020 11:18 PM  
Posted By Mick G on 19 Sep 2020 08:07 PM
Hey Relics, That makers mark "V.E.P Orillia ONT 42", is Villas Enamel Products Limited out of Orillia Ontario Canada 1942.

Good to be able to date it . I can't remember now whether I bought it here or from Canada .
Had it for quite afew years .. Cheers

Guru Tat
Guru Tat
fleece77

--
20 Sep 2020 09:13 AM  
Yes your right Ross. It was probably around 25 years ago, back then we had the weekly Trading Post paper. I used to get up early on a Thursday morning, check out the Antiques and Collectables section, try get in early if there were any bargains. Sure enough there it was " original menu from the Titanic ", quickly gave them a call. It turns out the family needed the money, it was their relative Evelyn Marsden, which was the only Australian survivor. They were living in a small country town called Kapunda which is north of Adelaide.

Now.... my next problem was I had hardly any money saved and I wasn't working at the time and the asking price was AU$10,000.

Next problem was trying to convince my father to lend me the money, a simple man who emigrated to Australia from Croatia, a man who never collected anything, who never had anything in the house that didn't have a practical purpose.

Needless to say I couldn't convince him that a piece of paper was a good investment, I did go have a look at it, it was mounted in a double sided glass frame, with all the documentation about Evelyn. Unfortunately another buyer appeared quickly, who actually had the money, to snap it up.

I did get to give my father a big told you so, when a menu sold for a large amount of money , I think a couple of years later in the UK.

Let it go Gordo

The Tatfather
The Tatfather
Lummox

--
20 Sep 2020 09:37 AM  

Wow..... great story ! what a sobering piece of history to have handled. Not sure you would have made any money ? bet you would still have it. Don't think I could / would sell something like that ? not with my large dose of the Collectors disease !!

lummox

Guru Tat
Guru Tat
fleece77

--
20 Sep 2020 11:38 AM  
No No Ross, as far as I can remember the menu that sold in the UK sold for around UK$40,000, which at the time was about AU$100,000
The Tatfather
The Tatfather
Lummox

--
20 Sep 2020 01:07 PM  

No I mean't you might have Kept it !! .... I would

Guru Tat
Guru Tat
Mick G

--
20 Sep 2020 01:17 PM  
Posted By fleece77 on 20 Sep 2020 11:38 AM
No No Ross, as far as I can remember the menu that sold in the UK sold for around UK$40,000, which at the time was about AU$100,000

Im offended that someone would pay that kind of money! 

Guru Tat
Guru Tat
Relics

--
02 Jun 2021 10:23 PM  

The Tatfather
The Tatfather
Lummox

--
03 Jun 2021 09:01 AM  
Lovely tin
Mad Keen Collector
Mad Keen Collector
BamberBooks

--
03 Jun 2021 09:17 AM  

The thread that keeps on giving - thanks fleece/ relics for it's ongoing state..... whatever next.

And the point Mick G makes being offended by the huge amount for the Titanic ephemera... how on earth do we rationalize what/ how much we spend, where is the sensible limit?

In truth this comes down to how deep is your pocket - no real difference to whatever car you drive - the man in a baby Fiat will never purchase a mint British Dominions enamel sign, and the man in the Rolls Royce will never pay a tenner for a scruffy little old tin? Each to his own?

Guru Tat
Guru Tat
Relics

--
03 Jun 2021 11:00 PM  

Bamberbooks .. Good point .
I'm sure we have all experienced something similar to "spending next months rent"  over the years  .
I was often amazed that "the other bloke"  always seemed to have more money than me , but we get there in the end .

Guru Tat
Guru Tat
Relics

--
06 Jun 2021 08:54 PM  

Busy little cabinet of curiosities 

I do like a full cabinet 

Guru Tat
Guru Tat
Relics

--
08 Jul 2021 11:12 PM